senior print and interactive designer
Narrative, art, culture, and community drive my work. My experience spans an eclectic list of projects: art magazines, museum exhibits, book designs, Olympic mascots, broadcasters, video awards, non-profits, online games, iPhone and iPad apps, apparel, large-scale communities, and more.
firstname.lastname@example.org — 416-877-4214
- Design Partner, 1999—
- Independent design and arts partnership founded with Gayla Trail. Fluffco was intended from the start to work as a design services company and the publishing umbrella for a variety of artistic and commercial projects. Publishing projects include: You Grow Girl the award-winning gardening site; SuperFantastico a storefront for hand-made stationery, apparel, and collectibles; and Making Room Magazine an online visual arts journal. Fluffco has worked with a wide range of clients including: TVO, Readymade Magazine, Shinntype, Hardboiled Inc, Penguin Canada, Simon & Schuster, Random House, Sam the Record Man, and The Nathaniel Dett Chorale
- Sago Sago
- Play Designer, 2013–
- Design direction, research, and experience shaping for the award-winning Sago Mini series of preschool apps. Integrated in the conceptual, creative, and technical production as well as the branding and marketing of the series.
- zinc Roe Design
- Lead Designer, 2007–2012
- Design and development of broadcasting, education, and arts projects including work for: Canada Council, Toronto Public Library, Teletoon, Vancouver 2010 Olympics, SoftCover digital book publishing platform, Scholastic, Youth Venture, and Doodlecast.
- Nike RunTO
- Lead Designer, ninedots, 2003
- Invited to work with the in-house ninedots team to produce the highly successful Nike RunTO campaign.
- Snap Media
- Art Director, 2002–2004
- Led designers and illustrators in the creation of online projects including: “Degrassi: The Next Generation”, CHUMLimited.com, CBC ArtsCanada, 21C, and TVO.org
- CHUMCity Interactive
- Creative Director, 1995–1998
- Design and development for one of the first-of-its-kind interactive departments for CHUM Limited’s television channels. Led design team creating the online presence for channels including: CityTV, Much Music, Space, and Bravo! Our team also created unique integrated advertising campaigns and micro-sites for major brands. Also developed marketing materials and packaging for CD-ROM titles.
- Cold City Gallery
- Designer, QW Magazine, 1994
- Design and production of an inter-gallery magazine promoting and supporting Queen West institutions. Individual gallery identities and promotions were mixed with unique editorial content and design.
- University of Guelph
- Bachelor of Arts, Fine Art, 1990–94
- Focus on intermedia art including installation, printmaking, video, performance, drawing, and photography. Minor in English literature.
- Sheridan College
- Traditional Animation program, 1988–89
- Animation, layout, drawing, and production training.
- Skills and Proficiencies
- Hardware & Software
- Eyes & Hands
- Photography has been a passion of mine for many years and I still have a love for film. I have used a variety of cameras over the years but my current mainstays are a Mamiya 7II medium format camera, a Contax T2 35mm compact camera, and of course my iPhone. My photos have been exhibited in a number of group shows and I have photographed professionally for magazines including: Readymade, Organic Gardening, and Spacing.
- I have been making art since I was very young. Most recently I’ve been engaged in a multi-media drawing series that I am documenting on http://art.davinrisk.com. I have also produced editorial illustrations for online, book, and magazine projects.